Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Reading and Writing

    I believe it is possible to read but never write (creatively, or in my case, recreationally), but I don't believe it is possible to write but never read. In order for a brain to spit something out (which explains my writing) it is necessary to first put something in. That is why my recent writer's block did not concern me, that happens fairly often. But I was very concerned that I was not reading. I downloaded books on Kindle as usual, read a few pages, found they did not hold my interest, and stopped reading. It is not like me to not finish a book, even when it is a bargain price through Book Bub. Time is precious, reading is a luxury, and I simply did not want to waste it on books I don't enjoy. I also did not want to waste time looking for a better book online.
   Finally Book Bub offered a sequel to "Anguished English", a humorous compilation of misspelled, mis-spoken, and misused phrases. "Bride of Anguished English" got me reading again and made me laugh, but I wondered how I would do with a novel. In this week's Book Bub there was one of Kathy Reich's Bone sequels. She is a very engaging author and even though it was more than I usually pay for a download, $2.99, I bought it. Reichs uses a lot of cliff hanger chapter endings which cause some author endorsements to describe her books as "unputdownable." However, I feel a professional writer, should be "authory" enough to use a genuine word, if only to discourage us amateur hacks from using made up words like authory. 
    So I am reading again and have begun blogging again. There is a vast difference between what my brain is taking in and what it is spitting out, but reading and writing go, if not hand in hand, at least hand in head. Awkward, but still somehow, getting somewhere. I'll settle for that.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment